Written by Julie Pennington
What is CRICS Chapel?
The dictionary meaning of chapel is: a small building or room used for Christian worship in a school, prison, hospital, or large private house.
But what happens at CRICS each Tuesday morning from 8-9am? An all school gathering in our breezy cafeteria where we reinvent chapel in this way:
- Discovering what our chapel theme for the year involves, “Jesus, Light of the World”
- Worshiping as our five member worship band leads us
- Enjoying dramas challenging us to be light
- Creating LIGHT inspired art work
- Befriending “Buddy” schoolmates of different ages
- Learning from guest speakers, as well as our own teachers
- Watching various Bible classes share songs, scriptures, and skits to encourage us all
- Praying and believing God to love us all in his Kingdom of Light
- Listening to weekly announcements of upcoming CRICS events
- Singing the Thai national anthem as we honor our host country
In 2013 we experienced rich chapel gatherings.
- Our All Saints’ Day Chapel blessed us to live out our dreams as the Lord gives them to us. Remembering the lives of people like Gladys Aylward, David Livingston, Samuel Morris, and others felt inspiring!
- 6th thru 12th grades received mentoring and encouragement in our annual Purity chapel. The same day, elementary students experienced chapel as a smaller group.
- Mr. Chris used puppets to entertain and teach us.
- An all art chapel allowed us to “create light” and connect in a tactile way to the theme.
- Our school Choir debuted during Thanksgiving Chapel
- At Parents’ Day Chapel, students honored parents and mentors in the traditional Thai manner of giving special flowers
What does 2014 have in store for us? Come join us and see…but here is a sneak peak:
- January 21: Mr. Troy and 9th grade Bible class
- January 28: Elementary leads, 12th grade Bible class presents
- February 4th: Drama class performs, 1st grade presents
- February 11th: Valentine’s Day Chapel, 3rd grade presents
- February 18th: Guest speaker, 5th grade presents
- February 25th: Mrs. Ruth, 2nd grade presents
It’s going to be another great year! Here are some Chapel pics from Fall 2013: